Internet Safety Resources
We live in an information age — one of mass communication and information technology (IT). From computers to mobile phones, text messaging to social networks, we are all adept at using a variety of devices to access this new technological arena.
It is difficult to remember a time before the internet burst onto the scene. IT has come a long way from the early days, and the internet superhighway is part of our daily life. From the way we receive our news, through to the way we keep in touch with family and friends, IT plays a vital role in the world of business, commerce and entertainment. While this new way of communicating is immensely useful in a work and private setting, there are many dangers lurking online, and young people in particular are most at risk.
Some of the dangers that exist on the internet include:
- Spam email — unwanted, nuisance email — usually trying to sell something
- Malware — malicious software such as computer viruses, trojans and worms
- Spyware — programs that spy on your movements when online
- Website hacking and hijacking — to take over a website
- Online scams — criminals pose as legitimate businesses for financial gain
- Phishing — fraudulent attempt to steal personal information including bank details
Young people are particularly susceptible to cyberbullying — bullying via any technological means such as social networks, chat rooms, emails, text messages etc. Cyberbullying includes name-calling, insults and taunts right through to physical assaults which are uploaded to websites. Cyberbullies will often use fake profiles to escape detection. All incidents of cyberbullying should be reported and dealt with firmly and swiftly, as with offline bullying.
Digital Internet Safety Resources
Internet Safety Topics
The internet safety topics we produce resources for include:
- Protecting Your Digital Identity
- Safeguarding Against Internet Attacks
- Awareness of Internet Scams
- General Web Safety
We publish digital internet safety resources to support schools by providing help and guidance in an educational format. Our resource packs give the information in a way that informs as well as educates.
Teaching students about internet safety is important. Our aim is to produce resource packs that provide information and knowledge of online safety.