Self-esteem is all about how we feel about ourselves. It is a person’s sense of value — how they regard their own self-worth. Self-esteem is the opinion we have of ourselves which can be positive or negative.
There are a number of factors that can affect our self-esteem including:
- Physical health
- Family life
- Life experiences
- Inner thoughts
- Personal circumstances
Our self-esteem is not static — it can change according to our life experiences, changes in our health as we get older, and other changes in our personal life. We can also take steps to improve our self-esteem as follows:
- Stop comparing yourself with other people — whether those you believe are ‘better’ than you in some aspect or those you feel are ‘inferior’ in some way. The only person you are responsible for is yourself!
- Each time you talk negatively about yourself, challenge these beliefs and negative comments. Ask yourself: “Is this really true?” “Am I being too hard on myself?” “Would I say this to someone else?”
- Keep busy. Occupy your time with a hobby, take up a new sport or pastime, redecorate the house, do some gardening. When we are busy we have little time to dwell on negative things.
- Take care of your physical health. When we feel physically low, we feel mentally tired. Make sure you eat a healthy diet and take plenty of exercise. Get a good night’s sleep and cut back on your alcohol intake. Do not resort to drink or drugs as a pick-me-up.
- Set yourself some challenging, but manageable goals. You will get a real boost if you manage to reach your target, whatever it may be.
Digital Self-Esteem Resources
The self-esteem topics we produce resources for include:
- A Person’s Sense of Value
- Positive and Negative Feelings
- Developing High Self-esteem
We publish digital self-esteem resources to support schools by providing help and guidance in an educational format. Our resource packs give the information in a way that informs as well as educates.
Teaching students about self-esteem is important. Our aim is to produce resource packs that provide information and development of self-esteem.